Ugh...I just couldn't find the flow today. Saturdays aren't usually a big creation day but I didn't have any classes today so I figured I'd work on another "reworked" ink drawing like yesterday. I drew in the flowers and got to work with the white acrylic ink. I added it and then some more and then more and then too much...:/. The acrylic started to crack in places as it dried. I outlined the petals with blue or purple acrylic (and proceeded to knock over the bottle of blue ink...I was able to get much of it back into the bottle but damn that was frustrating!). I thought I'd jazz up the flowers with some white dots. Then it just didn't seem done so I got some turquoise and gold acrylic paint and added some flourishes but I just couldn't save it. I'm not sure what I could have done differently after the white was already put down. I think the problem lies in my design/composition. The way the flowers are clustered just don't really work. But that's ok...bad art is still art and the only way to good art is through the bad stuff. Hopefully, I'll find the flow tomorrow!
I was really hoping to have something new to add for today's contribution to my daily art project but it ended up being a busy day and I ran out of time. I gave a Zentangle class for two very lovely women, who have been amazing students and are swiftly becoming dear friends. They've also been so supportive to me in a number of ways and I am so incredibly grateful for them. I spent time this morning prepping for our class and then gave the class midday and then we were done, got husband from work, made dinner and realized that it was getting late and I had nothing done...eek! So, I grabbed my pencils and set to work on some more flowers. It's coming together and I like the addition of the color but this one is going to take some time. I'm easily distracted so I'm reluctant a little to try to do something else and do this at the same time because I do want to finish it but I also need to keep up my momentum on developing new skills. I'm going to try tomorrow morning to create something new and then work on these flowers in the evening when we're watching TV. I can do this!!
This project is going to take a while.. I know I'm making progress on this but every time I look at it it just seems like there's still so much to do on it. I'm pretty meticulous about how I'm coloring each flower so each one takes longer than it looks like it would take so only a few get done each hour. My hand is starting to feel this constant work, too. I woke up with it being pretty stiff so I may need to switch to a different project off and on until this is done. I'm really liking how this is starting to look with the colors added so I think I made a good choice not only in deciding to rework this one but in the color palette, too. Props to my husband for encouraging me to stick with either a warm palette or a cool one and not really mixing them, too much. I did decide to have a little bit of a warm color with the red-violet flowers and I think it's a nice pop here and there.
Today's, and probably the next several days, is a work in progress rather than a finished piece. I created the first drawing back in September of last year. I really liked the 3D effect with the shading but it just seemed kind of blah with just the pencil shading. But I just couldn't think of how to make it more interesting (I knew color would help but I wasn't sure how I wanted to approach that) and I really just didn't want to invest even more time into this than I've already given it (16+hours already). So, I put it away but it wasn't out of sight out of mind. It kept popping into my mind to revisit it but with no grand ideas I just left it aside. Then last night, I decided to give it a go with colored pencil. It actually feels like coloring in a coloring book now. I erased the shading on the background and started coloring. The second photo shows what it looked like after erasing and starting with the leaves in shades of green. I've decided to stick with a mostly cool palette using analogous colors on the color wheel for the flowers (blue-green, blue, blue-violet, violet, and red-violet). The "floating" checked objects were the focal points in the first drawing, which was my intent, I'm hoping I won't lose that dimension too much by coloring the background because I'm hoping it boosts the contrast between the background and foreground.